Friday, January 27, 2012

Quick Cinnamon Rolls {from scratch}

Yesterday morning I got up early and made cinnamon rolls for my family for breakfast. Normally cinnamon rolls in our house come from a can. However, I found this great recipe HERE that is super easy, delicious and takes less than an hour! The recipe doesn't have any yeast so you don't have to let the dough rise.I've included the recipe below but I made a few changes to the glaze. The original recipe was extremely thin so it just soaked into the rolls. I like mine to be frosted. Next time I think I'll even try a cream cheese frosting for them. Yum!

 Above is what they looked like when they were finished.
And below is what they looked like after my family got ahold of them.
I'm telling you. They are yummy!

Quick Cinnamon Rolls

Dough

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup milk

Filling

  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon

Glaze

  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk (I would only add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency)

Directions:


  1. For the filling, in a small bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to form a crumbly mixture
  2. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the bottom of a 9x9 pan.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingreidants (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
  4. Cut in softened butter (I used my hands).
  5. Stir in milk to form a soft dough.
  6. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
  7. Spread the remaining filling on the rolled out dough.
  8. Roll up the rectangle going across the short side so that you have a long log. With a sharp knife slice into 18 small rolls (12 if you want them a little bigger which is what I did).
  9.  Bake for 20-25 min at 400°F.
  10. For glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until smooth
   11. Once rolls are finished, drizzle on glaze and serve warm.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

daisy said...

oh dear! this is heaven-sent. i was actually looking for some simple cinnamon buns recipe and couldn't find easy ones. i'd definitely try your recipe! thanks!

Rebecca Ulrich said...

Tried these this morning! They are delicious. Just what I need considering both kids were in the kitchen with me!